Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Yes Sir, Yes Sir, One Bag Fulled!

Yeah, I know, it is supposed to be 3 bags... and they are supposed to be "full", not "fulled"... and it's actually more of a pouch than a bag... give me a break, its hard to be clever when you have a cold!

The pouch really is "fulled", though.  That's the technical term for what most knitters call "felting".  I guess real felting involves needles and a bunch of other things that just sound like too much work.  So, I "fulled" my little pouch.

Here is the before pic...


See how you can see the stitches fairly well and it was also very floppy and soft (which isn't usually a bad thing with knitted objects).  By the way, I forgot to mention, this is wool.  Fulling doesn't work on acrylic.  So, then I put it in hot water and swished it around for a while.  A long while, actually!  Apparently you can also do this with a washing machine.  Just imagine what happens to your wool sweaters when you wash them in hot water...  My Mom had a wool sweater once when I was 12.  My Dad washed it.   Then, I had a wool sweater just my size.  Enough said. 

I wonder what happens when sheep get too hot?  Anyway, back to my story...

Here is what it looked like after "felting" or "fulling"...


In case you can't see the difference, here are some close-ups...


Before




After
Much fuzzier and thicker.  It also keeps it's shape better.  I sewed a button on it.  By the way, the button and the yarn have a very special story, but you will have to go see the pouch on Etsy to read that!  http://www.etsy.com/listing/91883242/felted-wool-pouch-with-vintage-handmade

And here is the final picture of the little bag "fulled"!
 


http://www.etsy.com/listing/91883242/felted-wool-pouch-with-vintage-handmade

No comments:

Post a Comment